Sunday 8 June 2008

Almost Royal


We were told to see the changing of the guard, but Lyndi and I only got around to it our last weekend. I went expecting expressionless men in funky hats. I found a crowd of hundreds pressing up against the gates as lines upon lines of guards walked and rode by.

Changing of the guard cannot always be this cool, I thought. And I was right--Lyndi and I had stumbled upon the dress rehearsal for the Queen's birthday bash next week! We spent two hours watching the horses and the riders do their thing and listening to the peppy queen's band and watching soldiers march in time. (I think I saw one smile!) And Prince Charles was SUPPOSED to show up and lead some salute from a podium about twenty feet from us, but he didn't show. Though Lyndi and I are 99% sure we saw him in the back of a limousine surrounded by a neon green motorcade. So, our accidental almost brush with royalty--London is so sweet! Thought I still have yet to see the Changing of the Guard...

No comments: